1 Kings 18:21 (NLT)
21 Then Elijah stood in front of them and said, “How much longer will you waver, hobbling between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!” But the people were completely silent.
This past Sunday we spent some time In 1 Kings, exploring the journeys of Elijah. Watching him rely full on God, and challenge those around Him to do the same. Let us continue that journey in our life groups. Discovering what we can learn about Elijah, from Elijah, and what journey of faith God may be encouraging us toward.
1. Read 1 Kings 17:1 together as a group. What must this have been like for Ahab? What must this have been like for Elijah?
2. This pronouncement was made due to the nation’s failure to follow God? In what areas do you think these people may have compromised?
3. How are these areas similar or different to ways that the people of God compromise today?
4. Read 1 Kings 18:20-40, What are the initial things that stand out to you in this story?
5. How do you think Elijah was feeling when this was all over? When was a time that you experienced a spiritual success, how did you respond?
6. At this point, you would think that Elijah could stand up to anything. He has faced King Ahab, the prophets of Baal, the Wilderness, Death of a child, Starvation, and God has pulled him through all of it. What an amazing feeling… Until 1 Kings 19:1-4, read this together.
7. What? One threat and the man wants to die. What do you think is happening here, why did he react this way?
8. What is your kryptonite? What are those things in life that control you? What are those things, when everything is good, can you pull you straight down and away from God? Take some time to share together and then pray for one another.